Post Apocalyptic Survival Gear List

This is a post apocalyptic survival gear list for you to determine your level of preparedness. Items that will give you and your family the best chance to survive the apocalypse. Most post apocalyptic survival gear lists are limited to what you can carry; to be truly prepared; to make sure my little boy and my wife have a father that can protect them come hell or high water, I have included much more than what will fit in a little backpack.

I will be holding down the fort here until we completely run out of supplies and are forced to move on. You can feel that big changes are coming in the world, and while we don’t know what they are for certain, a post apocalyptic survival scenario seems more and more realistic. That’s why I wanted to provide a list of items I currently own or am planning and saving to purchase. I believe in these items and I believe there is an urgency to acquire them, all signs indicate that the proverbial shit is hitting the fan. There is a bunch of ranting before the actual post apocalyptic survival gear list so skip to the bottom if you just want the post apocalyptic survival gear list.

The six things you should think about for your post apocalyptic gear list are:

• Security
  • Water purification
  • Fire starting
  • Food acquisition
  • Tools
  • Shelter

72 hour bug out bag kits are a joke because you can survive for 72 hours without food or water; so what they really should be called is 72 hour comfort kits and they should have a carebear inside for you to hug.  Surviving for 72 hours is for pussies. Post apocalyptic survival is not about lasting for 72 hours until the government can provide aid. Look what happen during Katrina? We are not going die period, and definitely not while we still have any ammo left. Remember there is safety in numbers, do not discount your neighbors and friends and make sure you encourage them to prepare. At the very least, they won’t be begging you for shit when our economy inevitably fails because our leaders suck.

It is about time you start collecting all the gear you will really need to live off the grid. Sure a backpack full of the most useful items is a necessity, but why limit yourself to just what you can carry? Most of you reading this are not homeless and you have a vehicle of some sort. So if you absolutely had to leave your house wouldn’t you load up your car? This is post apocalyptic survival we are talking about here. Wouldn’t you want to have a ton of shit in your garage or house to choose from depending upon the situation that you are dealing with? Survivors don’t limit their options and I know if you stumbled upon this website, you are definitely in post apocalyptic survivor camp. Your gear in a post apocalyptic survival event can make the difference between life and death; but ultimately it will be your mindset and your knowledge.

Some of you are probably saying,

“Dood, the roadz could be blocked, duh and the EMP could make my Honda Priuz not turn on, or my Chevy Volt catch on fire LOLZ”

So you are going to limit yourself to only what you can carry because there is a chance that, post apocalypse, you will set out on foot. Most of you will be bugging in, not out. You will be defending your home until you run out of food; or people freak out so much in your area it is unsafe to remain there. For this reason you should prepare a grab and go bag, but don’t limit yourself to it. The more shit to survive you have on hand the better. At the very least, it will help you  barter and trade with your neighbors.Post apocalyptic survival is about options.

I started writing this like every other bullshit post apocalyptic survival gear list, with bullshit commentary on each item but you know what if you have a problem with why I picked something just ask me. My e-mail is postapocalypticsurvival@gmail.com. I have a wife, I have a child, I have a job and I have a degree in political science. I am an average American working towards a better future for America and I hate what is happening to my country. I have no faith in my political leadership. I know that I may be a little more in tune to the actual day to day dealings of this ridiculous government given the nature of my job but I am no simpleton and I understand America is on an unnecessary decline. We can survive this whether our government has the political will to make the correct decisions or not.

Know this, whenever you click through a link on this site and buy something, I probably get a small fraction of the profit, usually around 50 cents. I spend every fraction of that on survival products so my little boy has a chance to grow up no matter what happens to this country.

I love America and what she stands for. I think the political situation in America is really fucked up but I am raising my son to understand the history of America and to be able to understand what ultimately has sunk the economy and destroyed this great nation. I pray every night for America to return to greatness but I know in my heart she cannot with the current policies. It is for this reason I prepare. It is for this reason I have spent my time that I do not have creating a website about preparation. I want American’s who are interested in survivalism and doomsday preparation to pass the torch to their children. I want to ultimately create an environment where people with like minded survivalist principles to unite in their areas and save this great republic.Post apocalyptic survival gear is only half the battle, your groups, your families and your knowledge, skills and mind set will determine your fate. Post apocalyptic survival gear can just make your odds a whole lot better but what you are made of will determine your survival.

I know my brothers in the UK, Europe and Australia realize that the collapse of society is imminent. Survivalism is a culture. We all feel it, we sense the coming tide. We may disagree on things politically, culturally or individually but we know the status quo is no longer working for society. We all no longer trust our leaders. We all are desperate for real freedom, real liberty and real political change. We are all knocking gear off our post apocalyptic gear list because we know that the current state of the world cannot continue. The apocalypse seems like it is closer than ever. We know we need to prepare. Alright, this has definitely become a rant and you came here looking for a simple post apocalyptic gear list, so I will make sure it is simple. I will link all of the suggestions to amazon for purchase and you are welcome to buy them or look for a cheaper price locally. If you buy through these links 100% of the proceeds will go to preparing my family for the post apocalyptic world.

If you have any questions, complaints or suggestions do not hesitate to email me or leave a comment below. I care about my survivalist brothers and their families. That is what has inspired me to spend the little free time I have on creating this site. Post apocalyptic survival gear should be easily contained in a list for people who do not want to sift through bull shit. If you have already read my rant I apologize here is a simple numbered list of things you and I need to survive the apocalypse. Without further ado, here is the post apocalyptic survival gear list:

Fire Craft and Cooking

Water

Food

Shelter

Medical

Backpacks and Clothing

Survival Weapons and Tools

Misc Survival Gear

Books for Apocalyptic Survival

Post apocalyptic survival fans found this searching for:

• SURVIVAL GEAR list
  • apocalypse survival gear
  • survival gear
  • post-apocalyptic survival gear
  • Apocalypse Survival Checklist

About Guest

Judah Hamilton is a apocalyptic survival expert. He is a political strategist, inventor, author, avid reader and corporate hack. In his spare time he is a welder, sheet metal fabricator and primitive survival skills expert. All of this aside, he is best known for his drunken, whiskey-induced rants on a variety of topics on post apocalyptic survival.com.
This entry was posted in Apocalyptic Survival Gear and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Post Apocalyptic Survival Gear List

1. Virginia says:
  2. Post Apocalyptic Survival says:
  3. Hogprint says:
  4. Turtle says:
  5. Turtle says:
  6. Post Apocalyptic Survival says:
  7. Ray says:

I have been watching a lot of what people are listing in their lists and i have yet to see anyone talk about 2 things. Bear Mace and the Moltov Cocktail.
    I am fully armed and wouldn’t hesitate to protect my family by popping some 12GA rounds at rioters and looters if they came too close to my parimeter. But I think 1st I would try and use some mace with a 30ft reach or so to try and keep the area clear. (I’ve seen large canisters about 8-10oz go for about $50 each)Obvious from some distance and try to not give away my position. If and when that fails then I will blast some buckshot at them and at that point they may get the message that this block isn’t safe for them.
    The other thing that I really, really worry about more than bullets is FIRE. You can prep all you want, but if one group of these thugs comes armed with Moltov Cocktail bombs how would you go about handling that? I know it’s bug out time then, but if that isn’t an option what would you recommend, if anything. How would you handle someone trying to burn your house down, or have you given it any thought?
    But can you give some of your thoughts on that subject which no one really talks about. Also, I live in an urban area and no, I don’t have a cousin that lives in the country, and to be quite honest I don’t see my neighbors as part of the solution, maybe more as part of the problem.
    What would you recommend on that type of a scenario where you’re at it alone. I have some buddies that are have the same kind of mind set as myslef and we talk about these things, but they’re someowhat of a distance. I can only think that trying to make it to one of their homes would be difficult, Roads being blocked by gangs, scavangers and thugs which is a good possibility.
    I have been prepping for a little bit over a year and I think I am about 50% of where I would like to be. But all the prepping in the world isn’t going to mean shit if some dickhead lobs a Moltov through your window or on your roof. And yes I do have fore extiguishers and that is the 3rd thing that no one talka about or has in their plan.
    Desprate people do despreat things, if someone can’t take what you have their last resort may be to burn it all down and not let you have any of it either. Just my thoughts. could you comment on those scenarious.
    I honeslty believe that if some type of a Apocolypse event does happen there needs to be some type of a centaralized location where like minded people can go, such as that show The Colony. There is safety in numbers, but then again…Can you trust everyone?

• spencer g says:

If your thinking about a place to go; me, my friends, and probably a ton of other people, are going to Costco. It has everything and in bulk. It also has a top notch security system if I can get the electricity up. Also I watch the Colony too and it has some amazing tips in there, like how to get the electricity.

• GOD says:

COSTCO WILL NOT BE ACCESSIBLE.  TRY ECUADOR, SPAIN, OR MOROCCO.  IF YOU GO SOON, VISIT SE ASIA FIRST.  =) ALSO, DONT FORGET YOUR EXTRA BATTERIES ….

• GOD says:

DON’T RUSH TO JUDGEMENTS NOR RASH DECISIONS, BUT BE PREPARED FOR THINGS TO BE MUCH LESS COMFORTABLE THAN TODAY.  I’LL BE WATCHING.  =)

• Shawn says:

my concern over bear mace and other products like it is that the blow back or wind can get the person if not wearing proper ppe. i fear more than anything that people will forget how to be human beings instead of working together and helping each other out

8. RS says:

Since Christ’s Kingdom is going to be here after the apocalypse, I suggest you pay attention to His survival guide.

Psalm 91
    1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
    2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
    3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
    4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
    5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
    6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
    7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

• GOD says:

Ask Not What GOD Will Do, As You Have No Fucking Idea…I Like It That Way.  Prepare Yourself & Your Family !!!  I Recommend That You Watch Every Single Post-Apocalyptic Movie Ever Made And Learn Something About The World You Have Created….I Will Sit Back And Enjoy……  Remember, I AM WATCHING!

9. Apocalyptic Admin says:

That’s great RS, and I respect the fact that you get comfort from scripture.

I get comfort from a loaded gun, a sharp knife.

When I am in a shitty area with my wife and boy at night, I feel better with a Glock 19 than Psalm 91.

God’s plan doesn’t seem to have any rhyme or reason when good people die every day at the hands of thugs and criminals.

A well armed individual tends to do better than an individual who defends himself with prayer, but that’s just my .02 and my only prerogative is to keep my family safe the best way I know how, same as you.

• GOD says:

I Have Blessed RS with Hope & A Recommendation For Ways To Educate Himself In The Days To Come.  I WILL ALSO BLESS YOUR KNIFE AND FIREARM AND EVERY BULLET THAT YOU FIRE FROM IT…..ITS THE LEAST I CAN DO…THIS WILL HELP.

10. cindy says:

Nothing wrong with having both

11. Eric says:

hey guys nice list man .. im gearing up myself i live in New Zealand and have been following and researching the worlds events for some years now, im now in the process of changing my work style to move out of the city and work from home, bunking down in a large city will only go so far. you must be able to grow your own food to survive i have four children thats alot of mouths cans will only go so far, Security thats another big one you must know whats happening around you all the time, if someone else knows whats happening first well… im sorry i know this will turn in to a rant. thanks for the list ideas and good luck everyone with your lists

12. Eric says:

sorry .. forgot to add why i said you have to grow your own food … you will want to get some ” heirloom seeds ” store brought seeds wont cut it heirloom seeds will produce plants with good seeds to re sow store brought packet seeds produce sterilie seeds.. anyways thanks again good luck everyone

13. Chris says:

Hi

Just found your website tonight, interesting , like to make a few comments, I live in Australia, people here are disarmed as you know , much more so than in NZ , here I live in a big city, in a dark situation of a collapse of organized government, the grade A predators would just crawl out of the woodwork, sadly out of a country of 23 million people , few are preparing one of the Universities a few years ago did a study that estimated less than 1 percent of the population had put food aside and supplies in the event of a world scale collapse.

That makes the possible (?) figure of perhaps 230,000 people who are in the know so to speak, with regular monitoring of social media and websites by the authorities, it pays to extra careful how a person seeks others of like mind, that alone makes preparing in a group setting that much more risky in this country, also I have lived in the USA , should there be a total collapse of the US dollor then, 310 million people all bugging is a joke, sorry, the available game will be exterminated within short order, then what ?

I personally believe that dark times are coming, that the human race is on the cusp of a knifes edge , lets face it , logically 7 billion people on this planet is well. more than the elite have planned for the rest who they don’t need ? well…….it ain’t pretty..

Lastly I regularly get dreams and visions of events ahead, some may laugh and mock , but as a intelligent thinking believer, I also believe in preparing in a practical way for the darkness coming down to us all.

Only an idiot or a fool would wish for a collapse scenario , sorry this turned out to a bit longer that I intended.

By the way the true psychopaths would rise to the top and in a large city of 2 or 3 million people , that would be 30 or 40,000 psychopaths to deal with, let alone the so called ordinary ones who have no more meds to take !.

14. Chris says:

this website listed food for 3 months sustainable living great site for anyone who lives in NZ or Australia, of course it can be adapted by anyone else , obviously they need to look at their own country brands..

15. Chris says:

footnote:I have just checked and it appears that its available now by sub only to the MJA ( Medical Journal of Australia ) if anyone is interested I can send a PDF copy I have for free.

16. SGI says:

Nice list. I definitely agree with your six essentials. I will tell you though, some of those other things would be pretty nice in a survival situation. You can’t argue against a generator or a crossbow.

• GOD says:

GO SOLAR ON THE GENERATOR-YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.  ALSO, DAVID WAS VERY EFFECTIVE WITH THE SLING.  GO WITH ME.  =)

17. Honestly, all this has me freaking out. I also live in Australia and I even started a small blog about survival as part project and part way to fund my survival kit, but the deeper I get into this the more I freak out. The Gov here is too worried about soft issues for election and is unlikely to provide any real help in a meltdown. It will literally be every person for themselves. I worry that if I do build a stockpile and someone more powerful than me wants it more than me it will simply be a matter of them killing for it. This is a very worrying scenario indeed. I guess it’s prep in secret, protect and like people say bug in until the food runs out.

Great, great website I’ll checking back for updates.
    Cheers, Justin
    BTW – Like you I have blog I’m developing to help fund my families survival gear @ http://allsurvivalthings.com it’s not as good as this one yet!

18. spencer g says:

Hey. Also, me and my friend have been preparing for the apocalypse. We have been making a list of things we need for it and what to do when it happens. I thought your list was amazing and I printed it. However, I noticed a few things not on your list that we had on ours. So I will list them below:

DUCK TAPE
    camel-pack
    honey (as food but also works as an antibiotic)
    guns/ammo (if available)
    M80′s/cherry-bombs (duck tape together to use as grenades)
    fruit/veggie seeds
    slingshot/ammo
    maps
    journal(to write down events for future reference)
    bio-suit (if viral apocalypse)
    “body armor” (if necessary)
    butane lighter/fuel
    compound bow
    ziploc bags
    charcoal/sand (for water filtration)
    flint
    fishing nets

• GOD says:

MORE FRESH WATER-MORE FOOD-MORE MEDICAL SUPPLIES-MORE AMMUNITION FOR WHATEVER MISSILE-TYPE WEAPON YOU WANT TO CARRY; SHARPEN YOUR TOOLS….WHEN YOU’RE DONE WITH ALL THIS-GET MORE & DO IT AGAIN!  YOU’ll BE GLAD YOU LISTENED TO ME,…..AGAIN. =)

19. Nothus says:

Yep… still here… I was looking through your list of equiptment that you recommend to improve one’s chances to survive an apocalypse or dare I say, near apocalyptic event. It seems as though I’ve most of what you list there, so I almost regret to say that you won’t be getting much in the way of proceeds outta this little black duck… it’s okay mate… I’m thinking you’ve put way too much effort into this site for it simply to be a truly extravagant sales pitch. I’m sorry if that comes close to offending, I can be a cynical S.O.B. at times.
    The exercise of sorting and sifting through this smorgasbord of stuff, and useful stuff at that, and reading through the various posts, has resulted in a rather smug and comforting sensation in me, because it means that on one level at least, for all these years, about 20 now, I’ve been pretty much on target when it’s comes to the arts of survival. I guess I always felt that as I received some of my intial “indoctrination” from some rather… er… enthusiastic practitioners of the art.
    I am really really really pleased to see that you haven’t been rabbiting on about this weapon and that weapon, and how many S.A.M,’s you have stockpiled in your garage… geeez that sorta wannabe weekend warrior, cut-lunch commando crud truly grates after awhile.
    Nope you’ve kept it, for the most part, well and truly on topic.
    What might be good to see however is some info concerning the shelf lives of various foodstuffs, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, fuel types, even ammunition and explosives.. visit some farms here and you’ll find farmers with ammo and basic explosives. (Blowing dammed big rocks and tree stumps etc. can’t be done with firecrackers.) and the best methods for storage and if necessary, the safe disposal of same or if possible how those supplies once past their useby date, could be put to a different but still significant use.

20. judah says:

Thanks for the insight nothus. The sales pitch isn’t for you, its to validate the time and effort I put into the site which is my hobby and my passion. People who argue about weapons are normally toothless cretins who don’t know shit about survival.

I like to practice practical survival several times a year by hitting the woods with different gear and little or no food supplies to see what performs and what doesn’t and then I come back and modify my lists. I use 100 percent of the very minimal profits from this site to buy gear that sounds useful and test it or build kits for family members. Anything you buy on this site I get about 6 percent of the sale and since most things are around 20 dollars it really is Pennies but it helps.

Thanks for your honesty I really appreciate honesty that isn’t aggressive

• GOD says:

DON’T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AS YOUR NAMESAKE-HE LOST TWO OF THREE CHILDREN BECAUSE OF THEIR EVIL WAYS.  PREPARE & BE WISE.  ALSO AVOID THE PROSTITUTES.

21. uesison says:

Hey! I really like your website. I like this post. I hope you don’t mind when I submit it to my Mixx bookmarks.

22. Beat The End says:

Interesting Post.  Those six things are definately the main things you will need, but there are so many things within those categories.  I like the suggestions you have given.  You never know what you are going to need so it’s always better to be more prepared than less.

It’s nice to be able to take things out of your bag because you don’t need it rather than wishing you had some things you needed.  This becomes even more essential in a post apocalyptic situation.
    Beat The End recently posted..Storm in DC Knocks Out Power Doesn’t Faze Preppers

• GOD says:

THE END IS AT THE END FOR A REASON.  CAN’T BEAT IT.  PREPARE AND BE GRATEFUL FOR LIFE, EVEN WITH HARDSHIPS.  ALSO, STOCK UP ON FRESH WATER….YOU WILL THANK ME…..AGAIN.  =)

23. Don't forget says:

I’m sure there will be a lot of people stocking up on canned goods such as veggies, fruits, and even meats like canned chicken and tuna. I just want to remind people to make it a point to have manual can openers. It would be a good idea to have at least a few. I know they break sometimes and it’s good to have back up.
    I’ve also been getting antibiotics whenever my doctor’s prescribe them and just setting them aside and roughing it out whenever I feel possible. Its amazing how much they can really save a life when truly needed.

24. TJ says:

Lots of Great Advice…Didn’t ever believe that god ever gave a shit about anyone….Still don’t believe you ever did…..

25. seamus says:

many of the things here make sense thou a few items that help carry stuff should be listed and alternative clothing for deferring scenarios and different abilities. another good idea would be plans of action and best uses of equipment.